about the author
Trish Hammond is an elementary school principal with diverse experiences in the field of education. In addition to writing YA fiction, she is the author of three children’s picture books that explore the issues of emotional and mental health. She is a member of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
Her debut YA novel, The Mind Thief, is now available.
WHY PICTURE BOOKS ABOUT CHILDREN'S EMOTIONAL & MENTAL HEALTH?
- Provide a starting point for the conversation about emotional/mental health
- Serve as a resource for explicit teaching by educators, counsellors and parents
- Can be taught in segments to solidify understanding (not intended for quick reads or bedtime stories)
- Help to reduce the stigma and build empathy in others
- Provide characters with whom children can connect, letting them know they are not alone
- Offer a few simple coping strategies